Give Peace a Chance:
John & Yoko's Bed-in for Peace
Author: Joan Athey
Wiley & Company
Hardcover, 120 pages
REVISIT THE HISTORICAL LIVE RECORDING OF THE INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM OF PEACE -
"GIVE PEACE A CHANCE" by John Lennon & Yoko Ono
Through stories and photographs, many never widely seen before, Give Peace a Chance will offer a chance to sit on the edge of the Bed-In, Suite 1742 at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal between May 26 and June 2, 1969.
John Lennon and Yoko Ono used their bed as a way to put themselves and their message in the center of a searing spotlight, demonstrating through their vulnerability and openness their unrelenting support for their beliefs. No celebrity couple had ever used their bed as a place of protest, nor had anyone before been so available in person and by telephone to the world.
“We’re going to sell peace the way other people sell soap,” Lennon said to a young, accomplished photographer on assignment for Life magazine, Gerry Deiter. Deiter was our eyes in that hotel room, the only photographer there for the entire eight days of the bed-in. He was determined to capture the essence of the scene--in particular the love between the newlyweds in many intimate moments. He also candidly caught the famous people who dropped in: Timothy Leary, Tommy Smothers, Dick Gregory, Al Capp, Murray the K and others.
As a photojournalist, Deiter’s documentary-style photographs illustrate John and Yoko’s commitment to each other and their desire to break down barriers between power, celebrity, status and convention in a sincere desire to end war and violence in the world.
SPECIAL EDITION EXHIBIITON POSTER
The Way of Life, c. 1969
Measures 24 x 18 inches
Call for pricing and information. Loan includes (50) special edition posters,
- (35) 22” x 28” large format,
matted, framed photographs
- (4) 24” x 24” photographs mounted/sintra
- (2) 24” x 30” framed photographer contact sheets
- (2) 24” x 20” signs mounted/acrylic
- (13) 24” x 24” Interview/Essay Panels drymounted/Sintra
- 6’ x 4’ Title panel photograph mounted/acrylic
- (6) 20 x 14 production drawings from former Disney Animator
- Mounted image captions, installation guide, media kit
- Schematic for Bedroom Recreation
- 60-second audio clip by Andre Perry, John Lennon’s producer for the song title “Give Peace a Chance.”
- 46-minute radio program “The
Year of Peace ‘69” by Joe Johnson, Beatle Brunch
Educational Outreach Components
- "Give Art a Chance"
- "Wish Tree" & "Virtual Wish Tree"
Film Screening & Special Events
- Film - Give Peace a Song
- Film - John & Yoko's Year of Peace
- Curator's Walk, Readings, Book Signing, "Hippie Hour"
- Give Peace a Chance Guest Recording
Powerful images from the archives of photojournalist Gerry Deiter on assignment for Life magazine
Courtesy of Joan Athey/Peaceworks Now Productions
Photographs courtesy of Craig Ruttle/Associated Press, Media Preview Event at The Museum at Bethel Woods
Installation photographs courtesy of Wade Lawrence, Director,
The Museum at Bethel Woods
This new exhibition illustration by graphic designer,
at the Museum of Discovery, Wauconda, IL on Oct. 9, 2010, John Lennon's 70th birthday. This magnificent illustration
is presented in the exhibition matted and framed at 24 x 30.
GIVE PEACE A CHANCE
John Lennon & Yoko Ono's Bed-in for Peace